The importance of blog descriptions may not seem important to you now. When users come across your brand in the SERPs, the first thing, they come across is the description. Next to the title, it is the one that makes make or break decision.
Before stressing on any of the concepts, it's my habit to list some benefits of them.
So, what are the benefits of creating a great blog description?
- It increases organic traffic with keyword benefit.
- It increases CTR.
- Instead of displaying auto-generated blog description, show a meaningful one.
- It offers a great user experience, they can find out what your blog exactly is about.
- It acts as a part of your brand.
After looking at the benefits, you have decided to craft one, right? The rest of the post is for you.
Blog or post description is the piece of text that appears below your link in SERPs and social sites.
The most popular blogging platform is WordPress. WordPress SEO is all in one SEO plugin.
Here's how to set post and blog description.
Now the game begins…
Tips for great blog description
Before talking about how to create, answer these.
- What's your blog about?
- What's unique in your blog?
- What's your number 1 goal as a blogger?
- What are your readers' interests?
- What do you expect your readers to do for you?
Now I think you got the point. Answers to the above questions (along with some it, is and buts) should form your blog description. Don’t worry; some of the answers are even one-word.
In every aspect, uniqueness wins. This is not a special case. So, how to present your blog description in a truly unique way?
Here are some of the tips.
- The blog description limit is 140 characters. There is no rule that you should make use of all the characters. Your blog description should be short and punchy. It should answer all the 5 questions!
- Use human words; like you and I. People like to be addressed. It shows you the value that you give to your readers. I have even suggested you to include these human words, in the introduction. Blog descriptions are not an exception.
- Use impact or power words. The words that denote action (verbs). Some of them are accelerate, no-idiot, smoking, eye opening.
- Cut out filler words. Be crazy about word choice. Cut out filler words; make more room for magnetizing your description further. This point is important.
Without adopting these hacks, your blog description will suck (100%): Useless Words You Need to Remove from Your Cluttered Posts
- Some times, you may forget to include a description for your blog posts. Google has no intelligence to pick up the magnetic part of your post. If that's the case, it takes the first 140 characters of your content (aka introduction) as described.
Now you can feel the real heat of improving your introductions. Right?
- Include your main keyword in the blog description. Also, include LSI or semantic keywords. It helps Google to confirm that your content is really about the topic.
Out of the above points, the last point is the thing that many bloggers are overdoing. Those bloggers are unaware that they are hurting their ranking power by stuffing keywords.
Remember that blog description is for describing your blog and motives. It's not a keyword farm.
Where to include?
If it comes to the main blog description, include it as a meta - description of your homepage. Along with this, paste the same on the about page of your site.
If it comes to the single post's description, have a unique description for each of your post. In other words, avoid duplicate post descriptions.
What to include in blog post descriptions?
Describe clearly, what you have in your post for your readers. By this, visitors will be clear that your blog post is what they are looking for.
Include a summary of your post and convincing text in your descriptions. It's like giving a sneak peek of your blog post.
What about social blog descriptions?
If you set a Meta description for your post or page, it will also act as social media description.
If you are using the same blog description for your complete online presence, you are missing a lot.
Learn to customize the blog or post description, on social media site basis.
You can easily do this in the WordPress SEO plugin.
Each and every person has a different mindset. If you are sharing your blog posts on Twitter, customize your descriptions by keeping your followers' interests in mind. You can find the interests with the help of Twitter Analytics.
For Facebook and other sites, analyze what sort of posts get great engagement daily.
By looking at the interests, you now can customize the blog descriptions. Like putting the same thing in another way.
For crafting great blog descriptions, you have to learn the art of expressing more complex things in as few words as possible. That's where word choice comes in.
You have the power to make Googlers, visit your blog after reading 140 characters.
A tip: People like transparency. It's the new trend which is creating a buzz in the internet marketing. Be open about your blogging or marketing motives in your blog descriptions.